Some things in life serve only to induce rage. No matter how small these annoyances may be, they are never insignificant. 'Rant List' is the chronicle of one self-loathing narcissist's seemingly unending pettiness.

Sunday, 20 February 2011

50. Using "I was drunk" as an excuse

^ This might be the one occasion I'll let the "I was drunk" excuse slide.
Heaven knows I like a tipple. I also have enough humility and self-awareness to admit that, every once in a while, that tipple escalates in to a topple, spilt drinks, slurring and me spouting incomprehensible nonsense about music circa 1984. Honestly, it occasionally happens to all of us. It's silly, it's irresponsible and it's a mistake but, like all errors, we vaguely hope to learn from it and accept our own idiocy. Everyone slips up every once in a while, I think we can all tolerate that.

What I can't abide, however, is getting yourself in a complete state and then not having the proverbial balls to own up to your own antics. Simply put, if you don't learn to stick to your own drinking limits, then at least have enough moral integrity to accept your actions. If you can't do that, then don't drink. It's that straight forward. The excuse that you've drunk too much and that's why you're acting like a prat shows a child-like understanding of how your behaviour affects other people and your own inability to admit you were in the wrong.

"I was really drunk" is not an excuse, it's a statement of your own lack of self-control.

No comments:

Post a Comment