Some things in life serve only to induce rage. No matter how small these annoyances may be, they are never insignificant. 'Rant List' is the chronicle of one self-loathing narcissist's seemingly unending pettiness.

Tuesday, 20 April 2010

8. Downloading entire band discographies for just one song

^ Look at me, I'm listening to the Manics! I'm so avant-garde and yet reassuringly mainstream at the same time. This isn't even all my Manics collection but I had a hard-drive crash and have yet to restore everything. At least I own the bloody CDs, though. That's entitlement to being a pretentious elitist.

I understand not everyone will agree with me that illegal downloading is generally a bad thing that robs artists of the money they usually deserve for their hard work - that is, provided they don't have anything to do with modern day R&B, in which case they should get nothing and like it. I'm not going to get in to that, though it is destructive and you should stop hurting the bands you love. But hell, even I’m susceptible to downloading a few tracks now and then. However, if you just want a handful of songs from a band or artist, just get those specific songs. Don’t download their entire discography. We know you only do it so that when your friends peruse your iTunes library at one of your very private (read: excruciatingly boring) gatherings, you’ll look like you have both an extensive and eclectically diverse taste in music. But you don’t. You just wanted Jeff Buckley’s cover of ‘Hallelujah’ to add to your cack-handed collection of increasingly poor quality ‘Hallelujah’ covers that you started after Alexandra Burke went to number one. I bet you even made a playlist out of all the 'Hallelujah' covers you found, like a dung-beetle assembling fecal matter. Like hell you’ve ever listened to Buckley's album Grace in full, nor do you ever intend to (your loss, by the way - I doubt you even know who Jeff Buckley is, let alone that he's dead, you coccydynia). There is no crime in liking one or two songs by an artist but you look like a tit if you have the entire Led Zeppelin discography and the only song you actually know is ‘Stairway to Heaven’. Grow some balls and be honest about your predictably undiscerning music taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment